Thanthai Periyar E.V.Ramasamy Government Polytechnic College is one of the prestigeous, popular and premier Government Polytechnic Colleges that celebrated its Golden Jubliee in 2009-10.
This Polytechnic College was started in September 1959 under the second five year plan period as a centrally sponsored Institution by Health, Education and local Administrations department of Govt of Madras and named as North Arcot Polytechnic vide G.O.Ms.No.1672/Education/dt.07.08.1959. Initially the Polytechnic was housed in the premises of Regional School of Printing, 85 Broadway, Chennai from 13.08.1959 and started its educational services to the students on 7.9.1959. It was then shifted to Vellore during June, 1961 and functioned in a rented building at Lakshmi Garden, 26, Officerline, Vellore. This Polytechnic has been functioning from September 1963, in the present spacious campus with buildings on an area of 20.2 hectares, amidst sylvan surroundings on Bagayam Road,Thorapadi inbetween Christian Medical College and Central Prison, to the south of Vellore, 6km from Vellore Central Bus Stand and 9km from Katpadi Railway Station.
The campus is divided into two and the portion to the west of main building is given to the newly started Goverment Engineering College “Thanthai Periyar Govt. Institute of Technology” Vellore in the year 1990. The net area of the campus after bifurcation is 10.63 Hectres (26.25 acres).
This Government Institution is under the control of the Director of Technical Education, Department of Technical Education, Ministry of Higher Education, Government of Tamilnadu. In commemoration of the centenary celebrations of renowned Social-Reformer Thanthai Periyar E.V. Ramasamy, this polytechnic has been named as “Thanthai Periyar E.V. Ramasamy Government Polytechnic, Vellore” ,during the year 1979 as per G.O. Ms. No.1144, Edn., dated 7-7-1979. The Present nomenclature as per G.O.M.S. No. 62 Higher Education / B2 / dated 13-3-2002 is Thanthai Periyar E.V. Ramasamy Government Polytechnic College, Vellore.
Earlier the college offered three full time Diploma Courses viz
The educational horizon of the institution was further widened up in 2008-09 by enhancing the full time intake in Mechanical Engineering from 60 to 120 and with a new full time Diploma course in Electronics and Communication Engineering (DECE) with an intake of 60 vide AICTE LrNoF.No.TN-89-183/DIP/2008/4874 dated 24.05.2008.
Shift system was introduced in 2009-10 and 180 students are additionally admitted in three diploma courses viz Civil, Mechanical and Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
Besides the Full time and Part time Diploma courses, several short term / long term need based training programmes through CIICP (from 2003) and Central government sponsored Community Development Through Polytechnic (CDTP) Scheme (from 1991) are conducted to the needy students and the downtrodden community of the society in and around the Polytechnic College.
Work Is Worship
Thanthai Periyar E.V.Ramasamy Government Polytechnic College, Vellore, is committed to produce qualified technicians by imparting high standards of education to the students through full time, part time Diploma courses and Non – Formal short term courses by guiding, leading, enlightening and empowering them in the right direction to meet the global requirements and to enhance them to face future challenges by proving themselves and their capabilities, excelling in all their endeavors with their proven caliber.